Friday 5 February 2010

Back Home...Mixed Emotions


Back home, I can't describe my appreciation for the "simple joys" that before I had always taken for granted: food, running water, clean drinking water, toilets, and a WARM shower! My last day in Haiti, as I gathered my clothes and supplies to donate to some new friends, I realized just why my hair had never really felt clean, even after a good garden hose shower: the "conditioner" that I had been using all week actually turned out to be body lotion. Woops!! Yet another draw-back to showering in the dark by flashlight.

Leaving Haiti and all those still suffering has been more difficult than I had imagined. I have so many mixed emotions right now. I'm so grateful to be back home with my wonderful family whom I have missed so much. Yet, I can't help but feel an enormous amount of guilt for those that I have left behind. My time there feels too short, with so much left unresolved and unfinished.

Regardless, I am thankful for the time I was able to spend there and humbled by all that I experienced in such a short time. I will try very hard to remember it every day. It's a good reminder to stay grounded and appreciative of ALL that we have to be thankful. I hope this experience can be the first of many more.


Emily

1 comment:

  1. Emily, what an experience! I'm sure it's humbling and rewarding at the same time. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's professionals like you that exemplify what we are all about and should be all about. You're the best. Leonard

    ReplyDelete